A recent article by CheatSheet discusses app streaming in some serious detail. This recent development is not surprising, as Google wants to provide users with the best content, and what if that content lives in an app that a user doesn’t have installed? App streaming is the answer, and may we say, we are seriously impressed!
It’s gotten us all excited about the possibilities this will give businesses and app developers. App indexing is a growing trend, and with the addition of app streaming we think it’s going to further enrich the mobile user experience, whilst revolutionising mobile search!
So let’s start with all of the hard core facts! Here’s everything you need to know about Google’s App Streaming functionality:
- Google has confirmed that it will offer streamed app content from nine apps, which include Weather, Chimani, Gormey, Hotel Tonight, Useful Knots, Visual Anatomy Free, New York Subway, Daily Horoscope and Mr Horoscope.
- If a user does not have the app installed, Google will allow the user to stream the app’s content as long as you are connected to Wi-Fi.
- To view content from apps that you do not have installed, tap the ‘Stream’ button, and you will be able to interact with the app content in a similar vein to it actually being installed on your phone.
- App streaming is only available to Android devices, but IOS devices will be soon to follow.
- You must have at least Android Lollipop to take advantage of this functionality.
- Tablets are not yet supported only Android Smartphones.
At the moment, Google is using this opportunity as a way to experiment with the user experience. Once they perfect this, it’s not hard to predict the proliferation of app content that will be served in Google Search results. This will make the role of app optimisation increasingly important with app indexing at the top of everyone’s To-Do list.