With TikTok’s continuing rise as one of the most downloaded apps in the world, it’s inevitable for the video creation and sharing platform to become a digital marketing hub for different brands.
After all, TikTok influencers and famous TikTokers like David Dobrik, Brittany Broski and Zach King have successfully amassed millions of followers and monetised their popularity on the platform.
Back in 2017, the TikTok of today was originally a combination of Musical.ly (a social video app) and TikTok (the overseas equivalent of Douyin – a Chinese video-sharing app).
Formally rebranded as TikTok in 2018, the hybrid app was quickly marketed and monetised successfully. In three months’ time, TikTok gained an additional 30 million users on top of the combined 200+ million users of the two-parent apps.
How TikTok has grown
Within a short span of time, TikTok has become the go-to fun app for Gen Z, millennials and families. It allows users to create and edit short videos easily and provides fun special effects, stickers, music and filters (similar to Snapchat). People can interact with each other by sharing, liking, commenting and even making duets with other users.
TikTok currently has over 800 million users worldwide, with India, the USA, Turkey, Russia and Mexico comprising the top five countries with the most TikTok users.
The business side of TikTok
Brands, of course, can gain their own TikTok following by taking advantage of ‘TikTok for Business‘, which offers tremendous marketing opportunities for brands.
With TikTok for Business, both well-established and new businesses have a chance to be found and connect with the massive global TikTok community. At TikTok, brands have a unique platform they can tap into for their marketing efforts by harnessing their unique qualities and the platform has plenty of benefits:
- It’s an entertaining medium that brands can use creatively to tell their own stories.
- It’s perfect for mobile devices, producing a sound-on video environment most people subscribe to.
- It encourages engagement, so brands that make use of its creative features can ‘trend’ easily or go viral and gain followers.
- It’s easily accessible and present in other social media.
- It offers opportunities for brands to be in the same space as creatives who can be instrumental in crafting their marketing campaigns.
What TikTok offers businesses to market their brands:
- Creating their own channel: Brands need only create an account and start uploading relevant videos on their channel. As they gain a following, brands can start a hashtag challenge, which is a fun and engaging way of gaining even more followers.
- Working with influencers: To succeed via influencer marketing, brands need to align themselves with popular TikTok broadcasters who best represent what their brand stands for.
- Paid advertising: To advertise, businesses need only get an advertising account. Ad-options include in-feed video, brand takeover, hashtag challenge, branded AR content and the custom influencer package.
Why you should consider including TikTok as part of your marketing strategy?
While video as a marketing platform has grown exponentially, TikTok is the latest shiny platform on the market that businesses can leverage, bringing many opportunities such as the following:
- Another channel for marketers to advertise products and services: New on the scene platform for advertisers to utilise.
- Visual Marketing is trending in 2020: Video is a very popular way of advertising these days, TikTok can increase brand recognition and customer engagement.
- A trending platform: A multigenerational appeal.
- Bitesize video content is very much in: According to a study by Kleiner Perkins, in the past two years, mobile video usage has gone up by nearly 10 million daily viewing minutes.
- Allows businesses to get a head start over competitors: Considering TikTok for your marketing strategy early means you have an early advantage over your competitors who may be missing out.
TikTok is here to stay, so it’s probably time your business gets on it to enjoy the opportunities the app offers to creatively and effectively market your brand.
Subscribe to our blog
Amire covers all aspects of SEO, join our readers to get valuable industry insights, trends, tips and more.